There are thousands of types of moulds which all need moisture in order to grow. We are all exposed to varying levels of mould every day and mostly, this causes no harm.
Symptoms of mould allergy vary from person to person but typically include sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, runny nose and sneezing. The allergen isn’t the mould itself rather it is the spores released by the mould when the temperature in a damp environment rapidly increases. An example of this is switching on heating in a damp house.
While it is not possible to avoid all mould entirely, there are steps you can take to reduce exposure if you have a mould allergy, including;
- Keep your home dry and well ventilated. Moulds flourish in damp environments; therefore one of the best ways to prevent their growth is ventilation.
- When cooking or showering, keep internal doors closed to prevent damp air from spreading throughout the house. Use extract fans and cooker hoods vented outside.
- Avoid drying clothes indoors and over radiators.
- Clean mould from window frames and dry condensation.