Guidance on exposure to Welding Fume Extraction
In February 2019, the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) issued a safety alert updating its advice regarding the risks and controls of exposure to welding fumes. This is intended for those who undertake any type of welding activity in any industry.
- Due to the reclassification of welding fume as a carcinogen, there is now NO safe limit to exposure
- General workplace ventilation would not be considered an acceptable solution
- The HSE recommend that engineering control solutions must be put in place for all welding, including outdoor work, and work of short duration.
Our technically qualified engineers hold Professional Certification (P604) from the Health and Safety industry body, British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS), and recommend companies follow the latest advice based on the Approved Codes of Practice (ACOPs) and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (CoSHH) Regulations.
Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV)
BEAM have extensive experience providing Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV) systems for extraction of welding fume at source ranging from individual workstations to factory wide installations.
We have a wide range of welding fume extraction arms ranging from 1m – 9m in length which provide extraction at the source.
Our equipment range has unique innovations in the design which provides the following benefits to the operators:
- Our welding fume extraction arms feature an external self-balancing frame, providing the user with effortless movement and positional stability over the workpiece for consistent and effective performance.
- The external hose is very accessible for service and maintenance and is available as a spare part in lengths to suit the client’s needs which reduces ongoing costs and downtime.
- The support uses gas-struts to counterbalance the weight. This is a superior design which out-performs the common alternative of friction & spring supports.
- Our extract arms feature a flanged inlet which greatly improves the effective capture distance. In practice, this allows for fewer movements to reposition the arm over the workpiece and minimises the operator input and improves productivity.
- We can offer control systems from basic manual operation to fully automatic start/stop and demand control of fans.
In addition, our systems are:
- Suitable for single or multi-operator
- Energy efficient
- Demand Controlled
- Maintenance free
In some working environments, it may not be practical to install fixed extraction arms. A further solution could be Portable Fume Extraction, comprising of extract arm and integrated filtration unit, designed to provide weld fume extraction throughout a workshop floor.
Welding Fume Extraction Enclosures at Robot Cells
Following the principles outlined within CoSHH guidance, some manufacturing companies have introduced robotic welding cells which completely remove the operators from harm.
Beam can advise on suitable extract systems, including enclosures, extract capacity, and offer complete solutions comprising the design, supply, installation and validation of the equipment.
On-torch weld fume extraction solutions
This consists of a proprietary welding gun with integrated suction nozzle at the tip. This system can be beneficial where no other extract solution can be deployed due to restrictions within the location where the work is carried out.
Beam can offer a multi operator centralised on torch extraction system which is efficient and economical to maintain.
We have a demonstration unit available and can offer a trial and further advice to suit your business requirements. To arrange a demonstration or to speak to an in-house engineer, please contact us