5 Signs your home has a condensation problem
Date: 23 November 2022
Condensation can result in damage to your property and your health. It’s the result of warm moist air coming into contact with cold surfaces, which causes little droplets of water to form.
Sometimes it may be obvious that there is a condensation problem, but here are some common signs that you may not be aware of.
- Damp patches on the walls - These may be more apparent on painted walls but less obvious on walls that have been covered with wallpaper. Simply touching the wall with your hand can tell if the wall has a damp spot or staining signs.
- Mould growth - This is probably the sign of condensation most people will be familiar with. Mould can form anywhere there is moisture, oxygen and warmth, typically forming in areas around windows, damp corners, cupboards etc.
- Streaming windows - Water droplets forming on windows is the result of condensation – the process of warm moist air coming into contact with a cold surface, turning the warm vapour into a liquid.
- Peeling wallpaper - Condensation can cause wallpaper to peel from the walls. This is because the surface behind the paper will become damp and the paper is no longer able to stick properly.
- Musty smells - Condensation can cause mould, which in turn can produce a stale unpleasant smell. This smell is much more prevalent in enclosed spaces where there is little room for fresh air to circulate.
Reducing the signs of condensation
Most signs of condensation are caused by excess moisture in the air, that leads to the process of condensation producing water droplets and subsequently results in damp surfaces. Reducing the moisture in the air can reduce the process of condensation.
A Positive Input Ventilation system will provide fresh clean filtered air into the home. The system will force stale moist air out of the house through natural leakage points such as windows, under doors and letter boxes etc.
Get in Touch with one of our experts to find out how a BEAM PIV system can help reduce condensation within your home.